Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Case of the Jet Lagged Toddler

Well, as some of you have no doubt heard, our flight here was the definition of Horrible.
I will post Morgan's telling of that story at some point soon.
Let's just cite a few stats for now:
June 10, 2014: Leave Kudjip.
30 minute drive.
1 hour flight.
4 hour layover (tired toddler. first tantrum. first dose of Benadryl. Tantrum. Nap. Delayed flight. Toddler wakes up from nap as we finally board flight)
3 hour flight. (no toddler sleep. much toddler screams.)
bus ride to hotel (wrangling screaming children)
hotel (Toddler refuses to sleep in pack n play. finally goes to sleep on mommy.)
6 am get up. 7:20 bus ride. 8 am check in.
10:30 flight.

13 hour flight. 2 toddler naps, 45 minutes each. much toddler screams. much toddler tantrums. terrible, horrible flight from the Hot Place that never, ever, ever was going to ever, ever end.

7:00 am touchdown in LA.
Toddler finally passes out waiting for our flight to Denver, followed by the rest of the family. We almost miss our flight to Denver because we are all sleeping.
3 hour flight. Toddler and baby both sleep the entire flight. Heaven.
layover.
1 hour flight. Toddler is antsy, but containable.
6:30pm get to OKC.
Exhausted parents, but Trip From You Know Where is finally over! Sleep approaches! ... or not.

Enter: the Case of the Jet Lagged Toddler.
Theron took until 4am that first night to finally go to sleep, after going into hysterics many times. He was so very tired, but he didn't feel like it should be night time. We finally got him calmed down in a bath... and then I tried to put a diaper on him. Cue screams. He finally went to sleep on the living room floor watching his favorite movie. At a couple points during this night, which had followed many many hours of awake and emotional trauma, all members of the family were crying. Poor family.

Night 2: to bed at 11pm. Up at 12. Not down again until 3.
Nights 3-5: much the same as night 2, with slightly improving times and shorter Wake Ups.
Night 6: Down at 11:30, stayed down all night (Hallelujah!)

Lula did have some trouble staying asleep at the start of the nights, but improved each night pretty drastically. She just didn't want to go to sleep until 11 or so, even by Night 6.

Well, I have sworn that I will not rest (metaphorically speaking. I need all the literal rest I can get.) until I find some Magic Substance that will Knock Out my toddler for the return flight. Because we can't go through this again.
I hate using "drugs" on my kids unless absolutely necessary -- plus, Theron doesn't seem to respond well to them always. Needless to say, Benadryl on the flight was a dismal failure.
So, I'm starting with essential oils. I'm a little skeptical about them actually working, but a lot of people have told me to try them and hey, they smell really good. So why not? At least my kids will smell good while they are screaming!

So, on Night 7 (last night) I tried the essential oil blend we settled on in Theron's bath and on Lula's basket she sleeps in.
Both children went to bed at 9 and slept like they do at home all night long! (Theron all night, Lula with feeding) Now, I don't know if I have discovered Wonder Oil, or if jet lag is finally passing, but something worked last night. I'll keep trying this essential oil at different times (like the 10 hour drive we undertake later this week) and see if it works then.

If you know any Wonder Knock Out Toddler Substances that are safe and effective... let me know! I'm compiling a list for further testing. Hopefully, in two months, our flights are not such Purgatory Experiences.

1 comment:

  1. As an adult, I had such a difficult time flying back from Kudjip - took me two weeks to recover from more than 30 solid travel hours and 6 flights. I have absolutely NO idea how a toddler does it - he can't communicate with precision as of yet, and all he has on board is SCREAMING! I pity ALL of you when you're headed back to PNG. ALL of you.

    ReplyDelete